Quality hearing care allows those with a hearing loss to enjoy greater self-confidence, more rewarding relationships, and an enhanced quality of life.
Although most hearing loss cases are easy to treat, only one in five people who would benefit from hearing aids actually use them, according to the National Institute of Health.
Worse yet, the average length of time the 48 million Americans with a hearing loss wait before getting the help they need is seven years.
Why Do People Avoid Getting Help or Wait So Long?
In my experience, the cost of hearing aids and limited financial assistance from insurance coverage is near the top of the list of reasons you might put off seeking help for your hearing loss.
No one is more thrilled than I am about the School Employees Benefits Board (SEBB) in Washington for hearing care.
Their new program allows school district staff in the Tri-Cities and Walla Walla communities with Kaiser insurance to qualify for low-cost or no-cost hearing care.
What is the SEBB Hearing Care Plan?
The program makes it possible for school district staff ages 21 or over as of January 1, 2019, who meet specific hearing loss criteria to receive financial assistance toward the purchase of hearing aids.
How Does the SEBB Program Work with Kaiser Coverage?
The standard rate for one routine hearing exam per calendar year may still apply to patients, but those who require hearing aids due to a medically diagnosed hearing loss will qualify to pay $0 for a single hearing aid or instrument set for both ears every five calendar years. Included in the coverage are:
- Hearing instruments
- Initial cords, batteries, and other ancillary equipment (such as the external components of cochlear implants and bone-anchored hearing aid devices)
- Warranties that are included in the initial purchase
- Follow-up consultation within 30 days after the first fitting of the device(s)
- Up to 30 days of rental charges if you return the rented device before purchase
- Maintenance and repair of hearing equipment
Kaiser does not cover:
- Purchases or charges after plan expiration
- Warranties that are not included with a device purchase or extended warranties
- Battery replacement or replacement of other ancillary equipment included in the initial device purchase
Kaiser partners with a broad range of hearing care providers and brand-name hearing aid manufacturers for those who qualify for hearing instruments through the SEBB program.
Sound Audiology Will Help Check Your Kaiser Coverage
If you want to get back to the rich, rewarding lifestyle you love and prevent further damage to your hearing by leaving it untreated, you need to take advantage of this opportunity.
The Sound Audiology team and I are waiting to provide you with the hearing care you need before your hearing loss becomes a significant challenge.
Now, we are also able to provide hearing care at a reduced cost thanks to the SEBB program and Kaiser insurance benefits.
It is important to note that the SEBB plan is not one-size-fits-all, so contacting our insurance specialist to check your coverage is encouraged.
Simply contact us or provide the information requested on our insurance form.